Kids in the early elementary grades are ready to learn more about the Bible and apply its principles to their lives.
Elementary kids think like scientists… they need to know how things work and need concrete examples… but are motivated by fun, so our program incorporates both of those elements. We help kids discover God by engaging them in how His story relates to their story.
- You will check-in/register at the north end of the building in the Chapel Lobby at 9:45am.Your child will receive a name tag and you will receive a security tag that you will keep until you give it to the volunteer at pick-up time. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER a NEW CHILD ONLINE for SONLIGHT CITY
- Bagels/donuts and coffee/lemonade will be available in the Chapel Lobby by 9:30am. Kids should eat before entering the gym. We have plenty of tables available in the Chapel Lobby.
- Our gym gathering time runs from 9:45am to 10am. You can drop your child off at our gym where they will play until their Small Group starts at 10am.
- Small Group activity and prayer time runs from 10am to 10:25am and is led by caring volunteer Shepherds who will be with your child every week building relationships and introducing the lesson for the day. Afterwards, the volunteer Shepherd will bring your child/children to you in the Main Church Lobby.
- Grades K-2 parents should meet their children around 10:25AM at the Lobby Bench in front of the Main Church Lobby Welcome Center.
- Grades 3-4 parents should meet their children around 10:25AM at the Lobby Bench in front of the Main Church Lobby couches.
- You can then attend the 10:30am Worship Service as a family where children will join you to sing, pray, and receive a special blessing during communion.
- At the conclusion of the Offering and just before the sermon at around 11:15am, children will be given the opportunity to go with volunteers to our classrooms for a rotation of activities including Bible lessons, crafts, and music.
- When the church service is over at approximately 11:45am, you again will head down to the north end Gym where your child will be playing while waiting for you. Bring your security tag to give to the volunteer who will match it to your child’s tag.
A time of spiritual growth for both your child and yourself, this class with our Pastor spends 8 weeks teaching students about Communion. It leads to a special ceremony where your child takes his/her first communion. Offered twice per year in the Fall and Summer for children ages approximately 8 and up. For more information about communion instruction or to register your child for the class, click here: First Communion.
DC4K – Divorce Care for Kids:
This divorce recovery support group is designed to help children ages 5 – 12 heal from the pain cause by a separation or divorce. Many times you may not realize that healing is needed, but this great group truly does help children work through the emotions that come with divorce. DivorceCare for adults generally is offered concurrently. Contact the Church Office for more information.
Vacation Bible Experience:
It’s NOT school! Each summer we offer an opportunity for kids from ages 3 to 11 to attend our Vacation Bible Experience. Run as a super-fun kids’ camp from 9am-12 noon for one week-long session, we feature music, crafts, gym time, and cool Bible lessons. Preteens ages 10 and 11 receive special lessons with a mission focus. (Anyone ages 12+ is welcome to volunteer!) Registration for participants and volunteers is open from March 1 to June 30… watch here for the link to register. The 2017 VBX will be held the last full week of July (July 24-28, 2017) with a special celebration service on the following Sunday (July 30, 2017) at 10:30am.
4C’s Kids Choir:
An accomplished musical group that teaches kids choral skills and offers the opportunity to perform regularly in worship services and at our annual community Christmas Concert. The 4 C’s are open to anyone who can read, because if you can read, you can sing! This group meets Wednesday evenings during the school year in the Main Church from 5-6pm.
We partner with Our Shepherd Lutheran Church in Birmingham MI for Upward Basketball. This 8-week season held each year between January and March introduces and enhances basic fundamentals of the sport while teaching the values of teamwork and sportsmanship as players. A one hour practice is held each week (generally at Our Shepherd, but potentially at Cross of Christ) where your child will receive instruction and get a chance to learn, be encouraged, and have fun with kids of the same age and ability level. One game per week is held on Saturday mornings at Our Shepherd (times vary – a schedule will be provided). Cost is approximately $75 per player and includes practices, games, basic uniform, online access to Upward materials, and end-of-season awards night and awards. Registration for the 2017 season has begun!!!!! Click here to register! or Contact the Children’s Ministry Director.
For more info on any of the different activities and classes listed on this page feel free to Contact Us.